Monday, November 2, 2009

Losing to Give.....A Partnership Opportunity

Okay, I have been meaning to start a blog for a long time now, but it was just one of those things I put off. Well, today, I got inspired to start something by our Assistant Pastor, Larry Boatright. The only way I could think to share it was with a blog, so I decided to start one! I'll also mention that some of what I'm going to post is "borrowed" from Larry's blog. However, I was so inspired, and wanted to dive in, so I figure, why recreate the wheel? And I'll give him credit - thanks Larry!

Many of you know that a few years ago, I buckled down and made some healthy changes. I ended up losing over 50 pounds, and felt amazing. However, as many of us do, I let life get in the way, and gained much of it back. I have plenty of excuses with the roller coaster that our life has been over the last few years. However, most of you know that I'm not an excuse person. I take full responsibility for being where I am today, and am pretty irritated with myself that I am starting over again. But, that was then, and now I am ready to move forward.

I have been trying to get started again, and have worked out somewhat inconsistently, but just couldn't get the motivation to make the real commitment to change. That's where Larry comes in. Today, he posted on his blog that he was going to start "Losing 2 Give in Aurora". He has set a goal to lose 25 pounds by 12/31/09, and he asked for people to sponsor him so that he can give that money to a local food pantry in Aurora, as well as to an international organization helping to feed children around the world. I LOVE that idea! So, I jumped in and sponsored him. But, after I did, I started thinking about how this really motivated me too. So, with his permission, I am copying his idea and partnering with him to do the same thing! I also have set a goal to lose 25 pounds by 12/31/09.

Now is where you can come in. I am looking for 10 people to partner with me for the next eight weeks. Ten people who will commit to x amount per pound up to the goal of 25 pounds. Maybe it's $1/pound, or $10/pound. It's up to you.

(Here's where I borrow from Larry's blog to show the math!) I’m going to partner with both a local organization to help homeless people in my community (Aurora, IL) as well as an organization that feeds starving children around the world. If you’ll donate just $4/pound, and I do my part by losing 25lbs, together you and I can serve nearly 600 meals to starving kids around the world. That $100 can also feed 200 homeless people soup for 2 days, buy 100 boxes of cereal for a local food pantry, or give a homeless child 10 days of shelter and 3 warm meals a day. That’s just one of you. Imagine what 10 people could do. Or even more. Us working together, me losing & you giving. It’s a win-win! I plan to give $$$ as well.

Even if you can't commit financially, I would love you support and encouragement! I will post about my progress and I have no idea where this will all go. But, either way, I will get healthier, and I already feel great that I will be doubling Larry's efforts. We are really making an effort at our church, The Orchard, to do more for our local community, and this is just one small way that I feel I can contribute. If you are interested in helping, you can fill out this form: http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dHdiZkUzNDA3andITlJwX0VNYjY2Umc6MA

Thank you in advance for your support and encouragement!

No comments: