Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I am not ready for this

Tonight, my two sons and I went on a bike ride to a park in the next subdivision. They are 8 and 5. While we were cutting through another park, I was following behind the boys. There were two little girls playing in the park, and I suddenly heard an excited voice say (insert 8 year old girl squeal here) "That was Jonah!!!", then "I can't believe I just saw Jonah!!!", and "I am SOOOOOOOOOO excited!"

I laughed at first. Then, I wanted to slam on my brakes and turn around. What??? Surely those cute little girls weren't talking about being excited to see my son, right? These are the moments when I realize that in my mind sometimes, he is still 2 or 3. Nevermind that he is riding long distances on his bike, and that we were going to the park so he and his bother could show me how great they are on the bike ramp at the skate park. He's my little boy! Girls surely can't be interested in him yet, right?

The rest of the ride had my mind spinning. He's going into third grade. I remember being excited to see cute boys when I was that age. I also remember boys having no clue why girls got so excited and silly when they were around. That is Jonah. He is going to be much like his Dad in that area. He will be oblivious to the fact that girls are very interested in him, because he will be too busy doing boy stuff and thinking about how to fix something or create something new.

When Rick and I started dating, I could never understand why his Mom was so protective of her boys. What harm could I do? And now, here we are. Full circle. Not only do I understand her hesitation of not wanting her sons to get hurt, I feel like I am going to be even more protective as a Mom! Especially when it comes to Kaden. But, he's another story for another day....

It also doesn't help that they are both really cute boys. I know, I know, I may be just a little biased!

No comments: